This dish is perfect for those summer evenings as a side with your main course. We have been fortunate with the weather recently in the UK, so I prepared this for a BBQ I had with the family, and it went down like a treat!
This recipe takes around 30 minutes to prepare and can be eaten hot or cold. Also great to eat for lunch as leftovers the next day.
- 2 courgettes
- 1 aubergine
- 1 floret of broccoli
- 2 red peppers
- 1 vine of cherry tomatoes
- 1 clove of garlic
- A handful of basil leaves
- Olive oil for cooking
- Salt and pepper for seasoning
- Balsamic vinegar for dressing
- Start by cutting both of the peppers into 3-4cm slices and place on a griddle tray for grilling. Drizzle with a little oil and place under the grill for about 10 minutes, turning halfway through.
- Next, prepare the rest of the vegetables. Slice the courgettes and aubergine lengthways into 2cm thick pieces and score in a criss-cross pattern. Cut the broccoli and place in a saucepan ready to boil.
- Thinly slice the garlic clove and place into a bowl with a tablespoon of olive oil and salt and pepper. You will use this to marinate the peppers later.
- Once the peppers are fully cooked and almost blistering, remove them from the grill and place in a sandwich bag (or similar) and close tightly. Leave them for around 5 minutes to sweat, which will make removing the skin much smoother. When ready, carefully remove the skins and place the peppers in the bowl with the oil, garlic, salt and pepper and let them marinate for a couple of minutes.
- Now, grill the courgette, aubergine and tomatoes (you might need to do this in batches) until they are brown. At the same time, boil the broccoli for around 5 minutes, until cooked and drain.
- Once all of the vegetables are prepared, and ready arrange them on a serving dish, season, scatter the basil leaves and drizzle with balsamic vinegar to finish.
I love this dish as it is so versatile. The recipe can be doubled or even tripled for a large party, and you can swap out any of the vegetables with your favourites.